BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, January 12, 2009

Golden Global Idiocy

First off, I admit - I do like awards shows. Specifically, I like to watch the Golden Globes and the Oscars. I even have an annual Oscar party. I didn't get a chance to watch all of the Golden Globes last night. In fact, I saw very little of the actual show but I saw the pre-show in its entirety. Hence my need to rant.

So first of all, I find it interesting to see who all qualifies to attend this gala event. Case in point, Billy Ray Cyrus. He has done nothing. He is riding his daughter's coat tails - literally (did you see the shot of him standing on the train of her dress?) And apparently he gets the good car while she only gets the hand-me-down Porche. Wow - life's hard when you're 16. Here's the thing with Miley. She is not a talent. She is a product. And how sad is that? We have turned people into products! And there's a contest to see who'll be first in line.

My other big eye-roll of the evening came when Ryan Seacrest was trying to get an interview with Brangelina. They of course did not give him the time of day and he was left standing there looking very foolish indeed. Now on one hand, I can see where they are coming from. I personally wouldn't want to spend any time talking with Ryan Seacrest either. However, it all came across as such a pride-full arrogant scene.

I guess my point is (and I do have one) that we have to be careful who we look up to. Why do we idolize these people? Granted there are some exceptionally talented people out there. But there are also people like that in our own neighborhood. I am constantly amazed at the creative genius I see all around me - genius that is coupled with humility and humanity. I don't know...I was just so turned off by the attitudes of these people to whom we give such attention. We know what Suri eats for breakfast but we are still learning the names of all the kids on our child's soccer team.

Okay, okay...I could go on for days but I won't. I do like to get caught up in all the glamor and splendor from time to time. I just try to make sure that I don't take up too much real estate in my brain with trivial star tracking. I've already given them too much of my energy and time just with this post.

So again, I do have a point: Be the role model your children are looking for. Doesn't matter if you can sing a note. Just be human, approachable, real. And if poor Ryan Seacrest comes knocking, make sure to give him the interview.

1 comments:

Geosomin said...

I'm ready for my closeup Mr. Daville.
I'm glad to be working with a lot of scientists...conversation tends to stay away from too much celebrity crap. I'd hate to be a young kid these days. It's a lot od junk to wade thru to find a good role model...not just someone who is pretty.