BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

There's A Reason They Call It "Nuking"

Alright so I've been on the fence about this one for a while, but yesterday during a side-discussion at a meeting, a friend of mine said to me "You don't still own a microwave, do you?"

I had to admit that I do and that I use it - not terribly often, but at least once a day to heat up my coffee and maybe one other time during the day to heat up something else, like leftovers. I have at least learned not to use plastic containers for reheating but I have to confess, I use my microwave.

Said friend emailed me some pictures and an article, Ten Reasons To Throw Out Your Microwave (see below). It was quite enlightening. Although I had heard about how it changes the molecular structure of food, what I realized through a bit more research is that it actually kills the molecules. There are bi-products created when we microwave food that our bodies don't know what to do with. Plus if you use plastic wrap in the microwave, the level of carcinogens is astronomical. There are many, many articles on this and I encourage each of you to check them out and decide for yourself.

So we are experimenting. Today, the microwave is going into storage. I have a feeling it won't be that hard to live without. I can put my coffee in a thermal travel mug and reheat leftovers in a pot on the stove. I'll keep you posted. Until then, here are the photos and the article:











Ten Reasons to Throw out your Microwave Oven
From the conclusions of the Swiss, Russian and German scientific clinical
studies, we can no longer ignore the microwave oven sitting in our kitchens.
Based on this research, we will conclude this article with the following:

1). Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long
term - permanent - brain damage by 'shorting out' electrical impulses in the
brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing the brain tissue].

2). The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products
created in microwaved food.

3). Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by
continually eating microwaved foods.

4). The effects of microwaved food by-products are residual [long term,
permanent] within the human body.

5). Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is reduced or
altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body
absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down.

6). The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals
when cooked in microwave ovens.

7). Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths
[tumors]. This may explain the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in
America .

8). The prolonged eating of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to
increase in human blood.

9). Continual ingestion of microwaved food causes immune system
deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations.

10). Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional
instability, and a decrease of intelligence.

FORENSIC RESEARCH DOCUMENT
Prepared By: William P. Kopp
A. R. E. C. Research Operations
TO61-7R10/10-77F05
RELEASE PRIORITY: CLASS I ROO1a

6 comments:

From The Heart Online said...

Wow. That's scary stuff! Especially since I've ingested microwave food since childhood, and continue this lifestyle with my young children.

Hmm... I need to consider cutting back .. or off.

Thanks for this!
Kim

Geosomin said...

Are there any journal references for this?
These are bold statements and I do know of a number of them to be proven true...but I want to know what studies he's talking about.
The scientist in me cannot accept such bold statements without sources...I've gotta know. Often the press gets a hold of science and goes all whackadoo with it to make an interesting story. Just cooking foods without a microwave does a lot of things too...like boiling water on a stove and putting it on a plant would also have very reduced growth because of similar changes...or distilled water...but I'm getting all nerdy.
:) Back to the topic...I would like to read the studies he's talking about, because if it's all true, it's bye bye microwave...

Cindi said...

Here are the websites I found - hope they are helpful!

http://www.relfe.com/microwave.html - this website references the carcinogens in plastic wrap (as published in scientific journals)

http://www.cancersalves.com/articles/Microwave.html - scroll down to the Infant Dangers section & they reference the Pediatrics journal

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/05/18/microwave-hazards.aspx#_ednref2 - if you look at the bibliography at the bottom of the page, there are several journals referenced throughout

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18240290 - this is written in language only a scientist would understand :)

Claire said...

fascinating! We got rid of our microwave years ago - but now that we live with mom - we have hers. Still rarely use it, but I am trying to convince her to ditch it and get a toaster oven.

Geosomin said...

Here's a few things I found (please excuse the typos):

John Mercola is a well dissed person in the scientific community...often referred to as a quack. I am willing to read people's stuff regardless and make up my own mind... he's a holitic doctor which always puts me on edge, but some of what he says is true. I'm just not sure about it all. A lot of the "journals" he quotes are holistic and alternative medical journals, which do not have peer review or medical/scientific scrutiny, so I would take what they say wit ha grain of salt.


As for microwaves changing proteins. Yes they do. more so than regular heat. This is interesting, but folding of proteins can change the nutritional values of foods, but not necessarily what they *are*.

People *do* microwave blood to thaw it before trnasfusions. It requires a special microwave though, with a particular strength of microwave oand rotation of the blood. Otherwise the living cells in it are killed by microwaves - they burst. I think the newer more highly powered microwaves are detrimental. They are faster, but unneccesary. The only thing I really use my microwave for anymore is thawing frozen things and melting butter. This does not require supersonic massive power...

Pediatrics is a legit journal, and I agree with their findings - microwaving infant formula (as well as heating it above 37) can destroy nutrients in food. In the lab cell media and other imprtant thigns are notmicrowaved or heated above a certain temparature...as they do not function properly afterwards. Some proteins are heat inactivated. Some moreso by microwaves.

Microwaving plastics IS known to put estrogen mimicking compounds and other toxins in food and water.
So the plastic wrap thing? TRUE> I do not ever use plastic wrap or plastic anything (or older dishes that may contain lead) in a microwave.

And so I'm thinking that I really might not want to use my microwave anyways jsut in case.
Hmmm...buriouser and curiouser...:)

Thanks Cind

Geosomin said...

oh - and this:
The whole article is rather neat. It looks at ideas about current thought on microwaves. I linked to page 4 of it, which talks about safer microwaving of foods.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0813/is_3_32/ai_n13664949/pg_4/?tag=content;col1

If I see anything else I'll be back :)