BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Public Domain

I have a coffee mug that I really like. It is light blue and on one side says "Smile" and on the other side says "Life is good." I like to use this mug whenever I can to have my morning coffee in. It is a visual reminder that yes, life is good. As I sit there in the quiet moments with a hot cup of coffee and a good book enjoying the peace and possibility of another day while everyone else is still in bed, I can be reminded of all the goodness surrounding me.

Today, however, I noticed something I hadn't before on my mug. I was looking at the "Life is good" side when I noticed something at the end of the phrase. I brought the mug up closer only to discover a capital "R" with a circle around it. You know the one I mean: Registered Trademark. I thought to myself "How can a phrase like 'Life is good' be a trademark??" Then I looked on the bottom of the mug only to discover that the name of the company that makes the mug is called - you guessed it - "Life is good."

Now I'm not sure how I feel about the mug. My opinion is tainted. Yes life still is good but I feel a bit ticked off that someone would make that a registered trademark. On the other hand, what a great name for a company. Now when I look at my mug I see the "R" more than the sentiment.

So I am hereby reclaiming the phrase "Life is good" for use by public domain. It is yours to use abundantly. Go and spread the word! And don't forget to "Smile."

1 comments:

Geosomin said...

Don't let it bug you.
I have a shirt on it that says "happy" and I wear it when I feel happy or know I"ll need to try hard to get thru a day.
Then clinique came out with some Happy cologne and for a while people thought I was wearing the perfume ad shirt...but then I realised it was what mattered to me that mattered. It made me happy...so I still wear it and smile.

Life is good.
Drink up :)